The Value of Good Web Content
Content is king. These three words sum up quite neatly what a website is all about and should give food for thought to all web designers who wish to boost the reputation of their site.
It’s a well known fact that Internet searchers who end up on a website skim through the text to find quickly the little bit of information they are looking for. The Web is not like print. Simply put, if your website doesn’t catch the attention of visitors from the moment they land on its home page, it’s not likely it will ever be popular.
While it’s true that the design of the website can compel visitors to stick around longer, without interesting content all the eye candy in the world will not be sufficient. Content means text, images, videos, and other graphical elements that can be easily blended together into the pages of a website to make navigation pleasing. These elements complement each other, and are most efficient when mixed together; nevertheless, text remains essential – you can do without photos or videos, but not without text.
Having good content on your website brings you many benefits:
• It increases your search engine ranking. All the major search engines out there use algorithms that take into account the relevancy of your web pages to the keywords you use. The more relevant your content, the better your raking in the results page. This in turn increases you exposure and brings you more visitors.
• It makes your look credible. No matter what type of website you have, for personal use or for business, good content helps you consolidate your relationship with your visitors. When you feature interesting content that offers value to the reader you make a clear statement that you are serious about your online presence and that you are knowledgeable about the topic you cover.
• It boosts your income from contextual advertisements. When using ads on your web pages it’s crucial that they are relevant to your website; and if the content is good then it won’t be difficult to find the right ads. The bulk of your visitors will be people interested in the segment you cover, meaning that they will more readily click the ads.
• It almost guarantees an increase in traffic. Searchers want clear, useful information to their questions. When your content is top notch then your website will attract many of the searchers who use keywords related to the area you cover.
• It’s likely to make others recommend you. When your visitors are satisfied with the information acquired from your website then there is a chance that they will urge others to check you out as well. Moreover, if you interest other webmasters enough then you might even get linked to by other websites.
Quality content is essential for any website that wants to survive. There is no substitute for it: all top sites on the Internet offer excellent content that is optimized for search engines and that constantly gets updated. Make sure you do the same and when overhauling your website invest the bulk of your resources in improving your content.